Personal Injury & Workers Comp

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers

Attorneys for car accident lawsuits

If you have been injured in a car, truck, motorcycle, boat, or recreational vehicle accident, Welts, White and Fontaine P.C. may be able to assist you in receiving compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

We offer a free consultation for car accident injuries. Please contact us at 603-883-0797 or click here to send us a message.


In New Hampshire, how do I prove my car accident claim?

In order to proceed with a claim against another driver, you must demonstrate that the person was negligent. Negligence is the failure to use reasonable care. Negligence can be an amorphous concept. For example, what is considered “reasonable” driving can depend on weather, the time of day, and other factors.

That said, just because something is an “accident” or unintended does not mean it’s not negligence. A driver can have completely innocent intentions and still be at fault in a motor vehicle collision. Usually, the best evidence of negligence in a car accident case comes from witness statements collected by police officers, and the testimony of the drivers themselves. Click here to read more about how “negligence” is defined in New Hampshire.

I was rear-ended. Does that mean the other person was negligent?

Being rear-ended doesn’t automatically mean that the trailing driver was negligent (for example, if they themselves were hit, causing a chain reaction), but most of the time, they are responsible for the crash. For example, if a person can’t see because of the sun and rear-ends your car, they have acted negligently. The same is true if they were looking at their phone or otherwise not paying attention to the road.

I was in a car accident but I think I’m OK. Do I have a case?

The most important thing is to listen to your body. It sometimes take a few hours to feel the impact of a car accident. If in doubt, it’s usually best to go to the emergency room to be evaluated. This is especially true if you think you may have a neck or head injury such as a concussion or whiplash. If you’ve been to the emergency room, or had an ambulance ride or other treatment, it’s likely you have a viable case even if you consider your injury “minor.”

My health insurance paid for my medical treatment…. do I still have a case?

Yes. For one, you are still entitled to pain and suffering compensation, which is above and beyond your medical bills. Additionally, under New Hampshire’s common law “collateral source rule,” a jury is not allowed to know that your bills have been paid by health insurance.

Why hire a car accident lawyer?

Could you negotiate a settlement yourself with an insurance company? Sure. But chances are that hiring an attorney will get you a better result. That’s because an insurance company knows that the lawyer will bring a lawsuit if a fair settlement isn’t reached. That’ll subject the insurance company to the expense of hiring their own defense team, and risk a much larger verdict.

Car accidents are among the most common personal injury cases, and our attorneys have decades of experience dealing with them. We can’t and won’t guarantee any results. But in hiring our firm, you can rest easy knowing that you have a respected and experienced firm advocating for your best interests. Our firm has the resources to do battle with big insurance companies, but provides the personal attention that all clients deserve.

What are the fees for a motor vehicle accident lawyer in New Hampshire?

For most car crash cases, a reputable law firm will charge a 1/3 contingency fee. That amount could increase to 40% if the injury is very minor, or the case is unusually difficult. A contingency fee is a percentage of a settlement or verdict paid to the attorney as their fee. For example, if we negotiate a $100,000 settlement for you, our fee would be $33,333.33. This allows clients to hire us without paying our hourly legal rates ($200-325 per hour).

We do not require any upfront payment from our car accident clients. The initial consultation is free (contact us here!). If we take your case, you only pay a fee if we win a settlement or verdict. That means that our firm has a vested interest in the outcome of your case: the more you get paid, the more we get paid. For more details about contingency fees and payments, please review this page.

I was injured by a drunk driver. Can you help me?

Injuries caused by drunk drivers can be among the most serious cases. Unfortunately, car crashes caused by intoxicated drivers are far too common in Nashua, and New Hampshire in general. If you were injured by a drunk or high driver, medical evidence such a blood alcohol level will be an important piece of the case. We are happy to speak with you about your potential case; please contact us at 603-883-0797 or message us here.

The at-fault driver had no car insurance. Is there anything I can do?

New Hampshire does not require that drivers have auto insurance. If the driver that injured you does not have insurance, you have two options. The first (and preferable) is your own uninsured motorists coverage. If you have your own car insurance, the policy is required to also provide coverage against uninsured or underinsured drivers. We recommend that everyone carry liability insurance of at least $250,000 — unfortunately, however, many drivers only carry the minimum of $25,000.

If you also have no insurance, your only option may be to pursue the other driver “personally.” That is, you can make a demand or bring a lawsuit against that person themselves for your damages. This is often a difficult endeavor due to the cost of a lawsuit and the fact that the defendant may have little or no available assets/money. If you were injured in a car accident and the other driver had no insurance, it’s best to consult with an experienced New Hampshire attorney about your options.

Thousands of car accidents have happened every year across the nation and may prompt people to contact our motor vehicle accident lawyers for help. As someone who may have recently been involved in a car wreck, you probably feel like you were placed in an unfortunate position that was no fault of your own. You may have sustained serious injury and incurred financial loss in the form of medical bills, property damage, and loss of wages. We understand that right now you may be worried about your financial future, especially since being in a car accident means that there’s going to be a cost to treat your injuries and repair your vehicle. But what we want you to know is that if the other driver was mostly at fault, then their insurance company should be responsible for what you have endured. By contacting our Welts, White, & Fontaine, P.C., we can let you know which damages you are entitled to receive repayment for and then advocate relentlessly on your behalf.

Make sure before you leave the scene of the accident that you take a few steps. Firstly, you’re going to need to check that you and everyone involved is okay. If anyone has sustained injury, then you need to get medical attention immediately. Call 911, regardless of if the driver wants you to or not, and have the police officer file a report of the accident. If you are unsure where to get a copy of the police report after the accident, our motor vehicle accident lawyers can help you with that. We could also perform an investigation into the accident to uncover potential contributing factors 7ou were not aware of, and estimate how much in a settlement award you should accept. All too often people who have been in an accident accept a speedy settlement offer from an insurance company, not realizing that this amount is probably only a fraction of what they really deserve.

Our motor vehicle accident lawyers have seen just how often car accident victims get taken advantage of as their claim is being handled. For example, insurance companies usually want to offer a quick settlement so that they can pay less to the victim. An insurance adjuster may contact you in the days after the collision so that they can ask questions but then use your answers against you. We know that insurance companies are for profit, and may attempt to reduce or wrongfully deny a legitimate claim.  But we believe in advocating for victims’ rights, and know how to use the law for the betterment of your claim outcome. If you need assistance after a car accident, or your loved one was involved in one, we urge you to contact us at Welts, White, & Fontaine, P.C. so we can intervene and assist. Please don’t get taken advantage of during such a difficult time. Let us protect you and ensure you get fair restitution for what you have been through. We are only a phone call or email away.

Steps a Lawyer Takes to Prove Fault

Car accidents can be life-altering, with significant financial and emotional consequences as Nashua motor vehicle accident lawyers know. It’s crucial to have a knowledgeable lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process and prove who is at fault. Identifying fault in a car accident requires a lawyer to undertake a thorough investigation, which involves collecting crucial pieces of evidence from multiple sources. Learn more about what an attorney will do for your case, and then contact Welts, White, & Fontaine, P.C. for help today.

Collecting Evidence

A lawyer starts by thoroughly investigating the accident scene. They interview eyewitnesses, take photos of the scene, obtain police and accident reports, gather medical records, and obtain evidence from the cars involved. The lawyer will check for any surveillance footage or other videos of the accident to use as evidence. If you have this information handy, you can provide it to your lawyer at your first meeting.

Determining Who Is at Fault

After collecting evidence, your lawyer determines who is at fault for the accident. Fault is usually determined based on state traffic laws, which indicate the responsible party in each specific case. For example, if a driver fails to yield at a red light, they are usually deemed at fault for the accident. For a case to work, the other driver must be found to have been negligent.

Proving Negligence

Negligence means that the at-fault driver breached their legal duty by failing to act reasonably under the circumstances. Your attorney will have to prove that the other driver was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries. Typically, this is done by showing that the other driver acted carelessly or recklessly, such as driving while intoxicated or driving while texting. Documentation and witness statements can prove this.

Gathering Expert Assessment

In some cases, a lawyer may need to obtain an expert assessment to support their case. For example, if the accident was due to a manufacturing defect, an engineer or product safety expert could investigate the car’s manufacturing process and support the lawyer’s claims. Similarly, a medical expert could provide documentation supporting your claims of injury.

Settling the Claim

Once enough evidence has been gathered, and fault has been established, your attorney will aim to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company. Your lawyer will demand compensation for expenses related to medical bills, lost wages, pain, and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and other damages.

If you have been injured in a car accident, obtaining an experienced lawyer who can prove fault and obtain compensation on your behalf is essential. Reach out to qualified Nashua motor vehicle accident lawyers at Welts, White, & Fontaina, P.C. and get the legal support you need.

5 Steps Following An Accident

As a New Hampshire motor vehicle accidents lawyer knows all too well, experiencing a motor vehicle accident can be a traumatic and disorienting event. In the aftermath of such an incident, it’s crucial to remain calm and take immediate action to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights. Here are five important things to do immediately following a motor vehicle accident, before you contact a lawyer at Welts, White, & Fontaine, P.C. for help.

#1 Ensure Safety

The first priority after a car accident is to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Check yourself and your passengers for injuries, and if necessary, call for emergency medical assistance. If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic, such as the sidewalk or shoulder of the road, to avoid further collisions or injuries.

#2 Contact Authorities

It is essential to notify the police or appropriate authorities about the accident, regardless of its severity. Call emergency services or the local police to report the incident. When they arrive, provide accurate and detailed information about the accident and cooperate fully with their instructions. Remember, only provide the basic information. Do not admit fault or speculate about fault.

#3 Document the Scene

While waiting for the authorities to arrive, it’s crucial to gather evidence and document the accident scene to give to your New Hampshire motor vehicle accidents lawyer later. Take photos or videos of the vehicles involved, the damage caused, and the surrounding environment. This visual evidence can be valuable in supporting your insurance claim or any potential legal proceedings. Also, write down relevant details such as the date, time, location, weather conditions, and the names and contact information of witnesses.

#4 Exchange Information

Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party involved in the accident. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance policy details. Be courteous and cooperative during this process, but avoid discussing fault or liability with the other party, as it can complicate the legal proceedings.

#5 Seek Medical Attention and Legal Advice

Even if you don’t feel immediate pain or visible injuries, it’s crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible after a car accident. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal injuries, may not show symptoms until later. Getting examined by a healthcare professional will ensure that any injuries are properly diagnosed and treated. Additionally, it’s advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in motor vehicle accidents. They can guide you through the legal process, help protect your rights, and ensure you receive the appropriate compensation for any injuries or damages sustained.

In summary, following a motor vehicle accident, it’s important to prioritize safety, contact the authorities, document the scene, exchange information with the other party, and seek medical attention and legal advice. By taking these immediate actions, you can protect yourself and maximize your chances of a smooth insurance claim process or any potential legal proceedings. Remember to remain calm, stay organized, and advocate for your well-being in the aftermath of an accident. Once you have followed all these steps, it is time to contact a New Hampshire motor vehicle accidents lawyer from Welts, White, & Fontaine, P.C. for help.

Nashua Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers

Nashua motor vehicle accident lawyers play a major role in the legal landscape, offering essential assistance to individuals who have been involved in automobile accidents. These professionals possess specialized expertise in navigating the complex legalities surrounding motor vehicle accidents, ensuring that victims receive the compensation they deserve while alleviating the burden of legal complexities.

In the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, victims often find themselves facing not only physical injuries but also emotional distress and financial strain. Dealing with insurance companies, medical bills, and the intricacies of legal procedures can be overwhelming. This is where motor vehicle accident lawyers step in, providing a guiding hand to navigate the convoluted legal process and advocate for the rights of the victims.

Key Roles

One of the key roles of motor vehicle accident lawyers is to investigate the accident thoroughly. They meticulously gather evidence, including accident reports, medical records, witness statements, and any available surveillance footage. By doing so, they build a strong case that outlines the circumstances of the accident and the extent of the victim’s injuries. This comprehensive approach enables them to present a compelling argument during negotiations or in a court of law.

Dealing with Insurance Companies

These lawyers are also well-versed in dealing with insurance companies, which often try to minimize the payouts to accident victims. Motor vehicle accident lawyers skillfully negotiate with insurance adjusters to ensure that victims receive fair compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Their in-depth understanding of insurance policies and regulations allows them to counter any attempts by insurers to offer inadequate settlements.

In cases where settlements cannot be reached through negotiation, Nashua motor vehicle accident lawyers are prepared to represent their clients in court. They possess the expertise to present complex legal arguments effectively and advocate for the best interests of their clients in front of a judge and jury. This courtroom representation is vital for achieving justice, especially when the responsible parties are uncooperative or deny liability.

Invaluable Emotional Support 

Motor vehicle accident lawyers also provide invaluable emotional support to accident victims. Dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be incredibly traumatic, and victims often find it challenging to focus on legal matters while recovering physically and emotionally. Lawyers in this field understand these challenges and act as compassionate advisors, guiding victims through the legal process with sensitivity and understanding.

It is important to note that motor vehicle accident lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning that they only receive payment if they successfully secure compensation for their clients. This approach aligns the interests of lawyers and clients, ensuring that legal representatives are motivated to achieve the best possible outcome for those they represent.

Nashua motor vehicle accident lawyers play a big role in assisting individuals who have been involved in automobile accidents. Their expertise in investigating accidents, negotiating with insurance companies, representing clients in court, and providing emotional support makes them invaluable allies during a very trying time. 


Start On Your Free Case Evaluation Today!

"*" indicates required fields

How Did You Hear About Us*
Privacy Policy*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Client Review

“Welts, White & Fontaine, P.C. – specifically, Jack White and Israel Piedra handled my case in a very dignified and respectful manner. They were thorough, explained the process, kept me up-to-date and represented me well. I highly recommend this firm!”
Sarah Jo Kaplan
Client Review

Welts, White & Fontaine, P.C.

© 2024  The Law Offices of Welts, White & Fontaine, P.C.
29 Factory Street Nashua, New Hampshire 03060
Telephone: (603) 883-0797 | FAX: (603) 883-8723 | [email protected]

"*" indicates required fields

How Did You Hear About Us*
Privacy Policy*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.